Morpeth Zesty Gingerbread.
You can have Morpeth Zesty Gingerbread using 19 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Morpeth Zesty Gingerbread
- It’s of TOPPING MIX:.
- Prepare 120 g of Coarse Oatmeal.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Light soft brown sugar.
- You need 2 tbsp of Hot Water.
- It’s 1 of Egg white, beaten.
- Prepare of DRY MIX:.
- You need 170 g of Porridge Oats (med/fine ground- a few secs in a coffee grinder).
- You need 130 g of Flour – wholemeal plain.
- Prepare 50 g of Cornflakes – well crushed.
- It’s 90 g of Mixed peel – chopped small.
- It’s 75 g of Crystallised ginger – chopped small.
- Prepare 1.5 tsp of Powdered Ginger.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Allspice.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Nutmeg – freshly grated.
- It’s Pinch of Salt.
- It’s of LIQUID MIX:.
- You need 130 g of Butter.
- It’s 200 g of Syrup – Golden.
- It’s 190 g of Sugar – soft brown.
Morpeth Zesty Gingerbread step by step
- Prepare Topping Mix the water and brown sugar in a small bowl, then stir in the Coarse Oatmeal. In a frying pan on medium heat, toast this mix for around 5 mins, until the oatmeal is a light golden. Pour into a bowl, and stir to cool. Mix in 2 tsp light brown sugar and ¼ tsp pdr ginger. Mix in enough beaten white of egg, about 1.5 tbsp, to give a just moist, crumbly consistency..
- Prepare Base Layer Tip: To chop up the mixed peel and crystallised ginger, add some of the flour to them first, to prevent sticking. In a large bowl, mix all the DRY ingredients well. Put the LIQUIDS into a medium size pan, boil to 120 C (use toffee thermometer). Add dry mix to pan of liquids, and stir thoroughly. Spread into 12.5” by 8.5” lined metal baking tray, and smooth out evenly..
- Add Topping to Base layer: Brush over with beaten white of egg. Spread topping over, and even out. Press gently into the surface with a flat blade..
- Bake in a preheated fan oven for 5 mins at 130 C, then 20 mins at 140 C. Smooth down the surface gently using a flat blade..
- Allow to cool, and then score into 25 slices, approx. 2 1/2 ins (12.5 inch divides into 5) by 1 3/4 inch (8 3/4 inch divides into 5), and store in an airtight container. Enjoy!.
- Keeps for over 2 weeks without the texture degrading. It also freezes well..